Sunday, August 27, 2017

Iceland (2006) ~ 08. Laugavegur trek Day3

Day 3: Alftavatn to Emstrur (15km)
 Start of the days trek with crossing the river just after our hut (Alftavatn)

Woke up around 09.00am, didn't sleep well because it was terribly cold, even inside the hut! Guess I needed to invest more money on the sleeping bag but the tent-coat-boots had taken most of my budget for gear... breakfast and we got ready to go. A lovely couple, Wilma from Holland and Timo from Germany joined us so now we have a great strong team of six people (David from Switzerland, Gilbert and Florence from France, Wilma & Timo and me).

Happy before we start our 3rd day of the Laugavegur trek (Photo by Wilma & Timo) 

Crossing the first river soon after our hut (Alftavatn). That days itinerary had many river crossings.

 Leaving the river behind us and climbing up towards Hvanngil. The wind started blowing hard on us.

 Arriving in Hvanngil we found another hut which we used for a small snack break.

 
Happy during our snack break while an unexpected visitor is looking at us...

 ...this sweet dog was there at the hut looking at us eating (and probably wanting to get a bite as well).

 Reaching the raging river Kaldaklofskvisl. Fortunately there was...

...a footbridge to cross it as the strong current would make it too dangerous for a normal crossing. 

(2nd photo by Wilma and Timo) ~ After a while we reached Blafjallakvisl river which was wider and at some point knee deep. The water was so freezing cold that my feet went numb while crossing it, had to massage them while wiping them dry after the crossing. 

 The track took us to a black sand desert which would continue for around 5km. Clouds raged in and rain started falling on us.

Going through the black sand desert with the interesting pyramid-shaped peak Storasula on the horizon. 


"Vegetation" in the black sand desert. 

 "Storasula", an interesting pyramid-shaped peak.

 A small stream crossing in the black sand desert.

Photo by Wilma & Timo. 

 We finally reached the Emstrur huts, the first guests for that day. Later on a group of 50 Irish (!) arrived and camped outside.

It took us around 5,5h to cover the 15km to this hut, arriving at 15:30. All the wet clothes went immediately on the heater to dry. Since the weather didn't seem to improve, even though I was carrying my tent all the way I (once again) decided to use the hut instead of camping, for kr2000. Four Germans and a Belgian guy arrived after us, plenty of people and nice atmosphere. Taking a shower would cost you kr300 for 5 min.

With the rain receding, the drizzles created a beautiful rainbow on the horizon.  

Photo by Wilma and Timo
While I was boiling my pasta dinner, a few guys from Irish group came in and asked us if we would like to have some food, apparently they cooked too much and they didn't want to throw it away. We gladly accepted. I thought I will have a bit of extra food that day and continued boiling my pasta but then the Irish guys came back with two HUGE pots with so much food in it! And it was supposed to be their left-overs! Everybody really happy, we ate until we couldn't eat any more... this was a heavenly gift!

While the guys went out to give back the pots I was doing my best to finish my pasta, even though I had already eaten so much of food. So when our guys came back from the Irish with a huge tray of sweet for desert I almost went crazy! Peach compote with chocolate... I thought I was dreaming. Second round for everybody, this time for desert, I ate very slow and then I also finished my pasta. Long live the Irish!! So kind of them to provide us with so much food! When the guys went to deliver the tray back I joined them. The Irish invited us to their tents, there was a lot of alcohol going around and we were offered delicious wine. 50 Irish trekking a multi-day trek in Iceland with lots of food and alcohol, oh yeah! Very friendly lads.
Back to the hut six Icelanders came late, there was no space so two of them would sleep on the floor so with my guys we decided to give away one of our beds and I would share the bed with David. Cooperation between the teams is the most important, the same way the Irish gave us so much food, we were happy to make it easier for them. Went to sleep with the fullest stomach ever, we had covered 40km and tomorrow would be the last 15km to Thorsmork...  

Additional information
GPS coordinates for places in this post, click on them to be redirected to the exact point in google maps. Click on the names to be redirected to their official websites (if applicable).

Alftavatn hut63°51'27.3"N 19°13'37.8"W
Hvanngil hut (snack break): 63°49'54.6"N 19°12'17.4"W
Emstrur hut63°45'57.6"N 19°22'26.3"W
Markarfljótsgljúfur Canyon (near Emstrur hut, didn't go but must be nice): 63°46'04.9"N 19°23'50.5"W

Click below to read the connected previous post:

No comments: